Special Topics Paper: Trends in Novel Titles: How and Why do They Emerge?


In my paper, I explore the way certain types of titles (such as the infamous "Blank of Blank and Blank" format) become trendy, and the reasons behind such trends. It turns out, there's basically no scholarly research or data on this, so it's hard to develop a clear theory. However, I ended up arguing that there is no perfect formula for developing a trendy title, and no way of predicting what trends will emerge. Rather, the best way to understand trends in titling is to understand appeals. Readers come to associate the words, phrases and structures in specific types of titles with specific types of stories. A familiar type of title promises to the reader that the book will deliver on certain appeals. As more novels with similar titles become popular, the power of that type of title increases as a sort of advertisement to readers.

First, I go through some common perspectives about what makes a title strong, and what kinds of titles are most popular, and examine the way that numerous titles (and types of titles) have become iconic and successful despite breaking rules and traditions. Thus, there's no foolproof guide to creating a trendy title.

Then, I look at a few examples of current trends, and show how each connects to a set of appeals. For example, the "Blank of Blank and Blank" title has come to indicate a story with a fantastical setting (ranging from medieval to dystopian future), high drama, romance (often quite spicy), a dark (but not too dark) tone, flawed characters, and a highly engaging plot. As another trendy example, titles that begin with a preposition (Where the Crawdads Sing, Beneath a Scarlet Sky) often indicate an immersive setting that drives the story in the same way a character might. They also suggest a lyrical writing style, and a bittersweet, thought-provoking tone.

Comments

  1. Hi Dallin,

    I've honestly never thought much about title formulas, even though I've noticed the "Blank of Blank and Blank" format EVERYWHERE lately. This sounds like a really interesting topic, so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dallin! Okay, I am obsessed with this. You are a true scholar. Funny enough, I developed my own game called "The Contemporary Novel Cliche Game" where players go to a bookstore and find cliches, such as the popular title format that you describe, as well as covers within a certain time limit. There's rules and everything; the winner(s) get to have a book bought for them by the loser(s). I really love your conclusions. They make total sense to me, so I think you're really onto something here! Honestly, I think Library Journal would kill to hear your conclusions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have me hooked! I was a child/tween/teen in the golden era of magical school to paranormal romance to dystopian sci-fi pipeline and definitely noticed authors capitalizing on themes from hugely successful titles (Harry Potter, Twilight, the Hunger Games). It's more recently that I've noticed the trends in titles. What a fascinating topic, and well done on taking it head on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great summary and discussion in the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Romance Annotation: Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

My Reading Profile

Week 3 Prompt Response